Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Puppy school....

Just before class....here we go!

I have been slacking as a puppy mother lately. However, I am FINALLY posting about puppy school. Winston has now been to 2 classes. Chris and I both went to the first class together, to say the least it was interesting. We have 3 other puppy friends in class. Sox (suss), is a golden retriever that is very laid back. When I say laid back I mean sleeps through the class. Both of her parents are Swedish. Next is our friend Spike. Spike is a 2 year old that needs some extra help...he is a miniature doberman pinscher. He is fun, we sit by him most nights, his mom brings him to class. Then there is a very hyper black lab, for the life of me I can't remember her name. She comes to class with her mom, dad, and 2 brother (boys that are like 5 and 4 years old). That's the roster for our puppy school.

Honestly the first class was kind of a drag for the puppies. It was more of the trainer teaching us how to set up for a successful class. The dogs really showed their true colors on this night. They were all barking and telling us how they were tired of sitting around. It was so bad that the trainer couldn't get them to stop...even when she gave them all bones. This is when we realized Winston is a little bit of a hoarder. He quickly had taken Sox's bone and toys. Only moments later he had swiped another bone. Finally enough with the talking and on with the tricks.

Class 1 tricks were:

  • Load the clicker- where you simply click the clicker and then give a treat...so they will understand when clicked you get goodies!!

  • Sit

  • Look at me- This is where they have to sit and you bring the treat to your face so they look at you. I think this is so they will learn to listen and look at us...but could be wrong


Home after our first class!
After class we successfully drove home....and he was not sick either way! Rock on to that. He was also so pooped from class that it made our night pretty easy. For the next couple of days we practiced our tricks. Chris practiced and then I would. Honestly he did pretty good here at home with just us!
Here he is making it home with out any problems!!!
2nd Class: This class was way more interactive. Oh and did I mention Winston and I went WITHOUT Chris. So the first 10 minutes we warmed up our "last week" tricks. Winston did pretty good then. After that she began teaching us new tricks. This is WHERE HE FELL APART!!! It was like once he started hearing all the other clickers he couldn't focus. He was everywhere but listening to me. It was so bad that even the trainer said something about his lack of focus. I of course mortified that Winston was acting in such a way.
However, I guess it is like most things...You know like when your car is making that noise. You take it to the shop and nothing not a sound. Then you get home and what does it do...makes that noise again!
This my friends is pretty much how our night went. I mean every once and a while he would do the trick correctly but really he wanted "social" hour.
Class 2 tricks:
  • Lay down
  • Look at me with the treat to the side- the first class we did it with the treat in our face now we are moving it out to see if they will focus
  • Be a tree- this is where he keeps slack in the leash (you know so they don't pull you down the street)
  • Walk and sit- The beginning phase of walking and when you stop they must sit. Another trick for leash control when walking.

This week would have been class 3 but our trainer had a meeting. Therefore, next week will be off to learn more. I have been practicing his tricks outside where there are distractions. Also I have kept him on the leash for the tricks this time. I think that may help some, but gosh I wouldn't be surprised if he wants "social" hour again next week. I am just thankful Chris will be there too; it is easier than me trying to explain the crazy dog he becomes at class.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Love the new background. Your dog more concerned about social hour than learning...hmmmmm.