Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Our first week...

I debated to back track and blog about our first week home, and well here goes. (mostly because I don't want to relive our week)  Miss H and I got to enjoy the hospital until Wednesday.  We really didn't want to leave either...but they kind of kicked us out!  HA!  We arrived home on Wednesday around 4ish. Thankfully my sweet mom retired from teaching in December allowing her to stay with us.  This was so helpful since I had the c-section know no lifting more than the baby, no driving, no this and that.  I will never be able to thank my mom enough for all her help over my 2 weeks of No, No, No's.  Okay that's a side note....

The week at home started off very ROCKY!  Unfortunately Miss H headed to the doctor on Thursday due to the fact that she was looking a bit jaundice like.  Sadly they said her level was much to high...thus my first HARD night as a mom!  Home health sent over a "light box" that sweet H had to spend 24 hours in.  Again so thankful my mom was here because this broke my heart.  Not only did she have to spend 24 hours in this awful box, but I had to feed her formula too because my milk still had not come in (sorry for the tmi).  She was only allowed to be out of the lights for a maximum of 30 minutes every 2-3 hours.  The way to get rid of jaundice is to have soiled diapers and use the lights.  Well, if she is not getting milk she can't go potty as much as needed, thus the formula! GRRR!!  This night proved to be a challenge for everyone in our house.  She had to be watched 24/7 so we all took shifts.  Mom was the first shift 8pm-3am, I was told to sleep.  However, how can you sleep when your baby is in this horrid box of lights.  I tried to sleep beside her on the enjoyed tennis on tv.  Then at 3am-9am Chris took still told to sleep!  I tried to do so while daddy watched over our little girl.  From 9-3 mom and I pretty much both "watched" her.  The day couldn't end fast enough!  We finally made it to 3 pm when it was time to head back to the doctor.  Poor Miss H had to have her heel pricked again, to check her levels.  Thankfully her level went from a 19 to a 7!  The LIGHT BOX could leave our house for good!  WHOO WHOO....although it was major heartache for this new mommy we made it through.  The best part was now her level would never go back up!  That brings me to the next challenge we faced.
my poor baby in the awful box...
the box ready to get the heck out of our house

Feeding! Well, since she got to eat formula from a bottle for a day she was living the easy life.  I mean come on how hard is it go get the formula out of a bottle...not very it pretty much just drips out!  Well nursing is not that easy... I mean she has to do some work before reaping the "milk".  Miss H wanted to take the easy road, she was not so excited about nursing like before the formula.  With much help from my mom and tricking our sweet baby she finally realized that this was her only choice.  That night we were up pretty much all night on the hour.  Miss H felt as though she needed to eat every hour, not idea but I knew it would help my milk come in.  I was willing to spend the night up feeding and holding my baby after all I wasn't able to hold her the whole day before.  Needless to say by Saturday we had MILK! WHOO WHOO, I felt much better as a mom believe me.  Prior to this moment I was feeling like a failure as a mom.  I mean heck if I had had milk she wouldn't have had to do that silly box.  Okay at least that is how I felt, I know jaundice is not the worse thing that happens but it was rough.

Poop-explosion! Ha well Miss H has made her mark after passing the test to be released from the "light box".  Heading home she left us a nice little present...well maybe not so little.  Lets just say that she ended up needing a sponge bath by the time we got home.  She had such a grand explosion that it was all the way in her hair.  How in the heck does something so small manage that!  HA HA HA, needless to say we managed through the FIRST of many that will probably follow.

After the all the drama it was nice to enjoy a weekend of friends visiting Miss H.  Plus we have the most amazing friends....they all brought us food to eat.  When you don't get much sleep that makes your life very nice not having to cook!  Since mom was here Chris continued to work.  However, he did make more stops at home than he normally would :-) I guess he missed his little girl!  We went ahead and planned a little outing to Chris' work too.  Miss H enjoyed meeting everyone up there...okay so she slept the whole time but still.  Now were are just finding a routine around our house.

headed to daddy's work
visiting daddy at work
Now here are just a lot of cute pics that I had to add from our week at home, enjoy: 

Her first play date...she really enjoyed it! 

I love this one...

Meeting her great uncle and great aunt!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Wow, sounds like u had quite a week. So sorry u had to have a c-section. No one can prepare u for that first week! I always felt like once I got through the first month it started getting easier. Harper is beautiful! Congrats again!!