Thursday, July 09, 2009

Waiting is the hardest part...

These are my most recent pics of sweet grandpa...


For those of you who know, both my grandparents have moved into a wonderful nursing home in Amarillo. About 2 weeks ago when I came down for my high school reunion, Jerald the hospices nurse, informed mom he was glad we would be here. That made us all wonder why he felt this way....well come to find out he had noticed a change in grandpa and felt we needed to see him. Our visit with grandpa then was pretty normal. It consisted of grandpa and grandma both quizzing Chris if we were going to get married. (I love that they pressure him...it is fun) Then he and Chris talked finances and we enjoyed the chat.


However, now things have changed and not for the best. Mom called on Tuesday claiming that grandpa had a fever and was not well. At this point any time there is a change we all begin to worry. Mom didn't want any of us to worry so she stayed with grandpa over night. On Wednesday I was just heading out for spin class when Abby called. She had spoken to mom, who was very upset, and we both thought it was time to head home. We both know that we needed to be here both for grandpa and mom.

Therefore I packed up....me and the dog! Yes sweet Winston had to come to Amarillo due to Chris being out of town for work. Winston and I arrived at about 7 and headed straight to grandpa's place. (thankfully dogs are allowed) Luckily we arrived at a point when grandpa had woken up from a 2 day sleep. He couldn't really see me or Winston but he hear us. At one point Winston was barking to "protect us"...and he said oh there is the dog. However, that was a short lived moment...only about 30 minutes and then back to his restless sleep.

Here we are now basically playing a waiting game...when the time will come no one really knows. Jerald claims it could be 2 days or 2 weeks we are just unsure right now. What we do know is that his time is coming to a close soon. Right now our days are spent just sitting with grandma and grandpa. We are enjoying their company and the memories. Grandma was so sweet today....she went into grandpa's room and told him that she loved him and he just needed to go on. You know for my sweet grandma, who has Alzheimer's, it was a very together moment for her to allow him to move on. Sitting her we just wish that grandpa would relax and let the moment take him. I think we have all prepared ourselves for this....it is just hard to see grandpa struggling and not being at peace. We shall wait....

***you can read my sisters thoughts on this all at her blog click here***

2 comments:

Kara said...

I know there is nothing I can say to make things easier on you and your family. Just know (and let your family know) that I am thinking about you and praying for you all.

Alyssa said...

We are praying for you and your family!