Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Improving my prayers....and Louis Buzek

Sunday's sermon was about praying how Jesus prayed for you. This was another great one, mostly because I often wonder, am I praying the best that I can. I mean, there is no correct way to pray as long as you do it. Prayer is a time for you to be with him and speak to him. However, looking into this the way Teddy (the pastor) did on Sunday opened my eyes a little. Teddy said it himself....often we pray for little things: a good day, to do well on a test, help your friend in their time of need....stuff like this. That is not wrong but it is not to the extent that Jesus prayed for us. (John 17:6-26)

Teddy spoke about ways we can begin to pray like Jesus did (keep in mind I am only highlighting the points that spoke to me...he had 4). His opening line was: If you want to pray for your family and other believers like Jesus would, pray for them.....
  • To be protected from the ravages of the culture and the evil one.

Okay, look at it in simple terms; that we need to keep ourselves from turning to the culture to look for the answers. I love the example he used here...It was that when you go to Barns and Noble and look to the magazine racks. People will go here (to the magazines) to see what is new, trendy, and what "everyone" is doing. This is not the way to live...following the coolest fad or learning about things in this months magazine is not the way. Instead we should follow his word.

  • To have true joy that only comes from a committed relationship with Jesus.

It is hard to have true joy if you are in and out all the time. I know I am guilty of this, the fact that when we truly need him...we seek him out. However, if things are good we don't seek him as much as we should. This point brought me back to the week before you know the #6. Don't stop praying until you can face the matter with faith and trust in God's sovereignty. After breaking down these verses in John I realized that it is possible to be "better" (for lack of another word) at praying.

I think it is wonderful that we have been studying this over the past month. As I have been praying for many people...Uncle Louie and Greg mostly. I am able to strengthen my prayers for those in need. Prayers are amazing, I mean look at what Louis Buzek has over come. It has now been 22 days since he entered the hospital. The prayers from so many friends, family, and anonymous followers have helped in more ways than we will ever know. I know Uncle Louie is very strong, has amazing doctors, but I do believe without the prayers of everyone he would not be doing as well as he is. Tonight Louise had a new type of surgery, it was not his normal "wash out". The doctors have taken him off the pacemaker. This is both a wonderful step but nervous one too. The pacemaker was there to help if his heart stopped again like it had at least 3 times prior. However, it could cause infections...The doctors felt since it has not been used (that is a wonderful thing) it could be removed to lessen the risk of infection. While in surgery the doctors placed maggots. I know many of you are wondering why maggots. It is my understanding that this maggots can help eat the dead tissue, but not the healthy tissue. I look at it like they can reach places the doctors can't or wouldn't because the risk is too high. These wonderful (yet weird) little maggots are going to do an amazing job cleaning him up. If you would like more info on this procedure you can go to Louis' blog here.

It is 22 days into this marathon that Louis has been facing. I have stayed very true to my prayer marathon. I know that many of you are running this race with me, praying each day for Uncle Louie and Greg. Thank you for all your prayers, each day you ask for his love and protection is another day of blessings.
"You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" John 14:14

1 comment:

Abby said...

WOW Em, very deep. Love it. Now I have to save Brian's bible, Brooks is trying to eat it. Talk about getting into the word!!