Wednesday, February 25, 2009

WINSTON THE GREAT....


You know when you do something, and you can remember doing every step of it...but then it seems you have not done it after all. Well....Mr. Winston the Great made me feel this way last night. As you can see from my prior post we did Fat Tuesday with friends. My "job" was to let the little guy out for his late afternoon potty break. Okay I do this right...things go smoothly; or SO I THINK!!!

Well about 6:00 Chris calls...."Emily did you put Winston back in his kennel?" Of course my response is "YES." Then he proceeds to inform me that Winston met him at the door...he was NOT IN HIS KENNEL! I immediately start to think back.....DID I? Okay I was on the phone (ummmm that could have interfered with my process) I took Winston to potty one last time. We came in, then I picked him up and put him in his kennel. I remember pushing the lock over on the gate. I am now explaining the steps to my friend, just to ensure I am NOT CRAZY! Needless to say, he was out and had taken full advantage of the freedom. He didn't chew anything up but he did live a little puddle!

Picture this AM at oh about 6! Chris and Winston do breakfast together around 5:30 am, then he normally puts him back in his kennel around 6. That will allow him time to shower (Chris not Winston). Well things didn't go as planned for Chris this morning as normal. Here I am sleeping.(5:56 am)...and I receive this text message that states "Houdini Winston Roberts is now down to about 30 seconds and the escape is made." Of course I think what is this crazy text about...then I realize HE DID IT AGAIN!!! I DID PUT HIM IN HIS KENNEL LAST NIGHT!

THE PROOF: I am still waiting for Chris to apologize for assuming I was incapable of putting the dog up correctly. However, I am over joyed that he escaped again and with Chris. Now I think to myself...what are we going to do? How is he doing it? Well Chris watched and he is some how pushing the lever up. THE PLAN: Today after school when I got home I set up in the kitchen. I took some video on my camera to see how the little Houdini did it. (Video to come...Chris' compute will not do videos) In fact he didn't get out while I was videoing him, but he popped the lock up. I think he would have gotten completely out but Chris walked in and kind of stopped the "moment." Well we learned today Winston may be too smart for his own good.

Here are pictures of the old kennel and latch. Then you will see the new kennel...with no latches but a clasp.
Winston at work....on the escape
the latch
the trap while we were gone today

notice how the foot holds the leaver down just so....

The new kennel...I talked Chris into the cute pink one. Also note that Winston is BEHIND the kennel not in it...he is not so sure about this change.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I don't know about the pink crate...