Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Tennis Family

If you would have asked me about 5 years ago if I would be playing tennis...the answer would have probably been NO! All through Jr High and High School I enjoyed playing tennis. Then I headed off to college and well just didn't have time. Around my last semester there I tried to jump back into it, but didn't find a good group. When I moved to Arlington and began watching Little Bear I found I needed to make friends. I mean don't get me wrong...I love my sister and Brian dearly, but I did need to find some friends. Being as I was "staying at home" watching Little Bear full time it was a bit hard to make friends. I mean for a while E and I joined Mommy Bootcamp. That was fun, but I needed something else. That is when I though I should get back into tennis (the best thing is once you play you really never lose it). I called up the local tennis center (Arlington Tennis Center), but they had already begun their leagues. That was sad news, but it is not like there is only one tennis facility. Then I called up North Richland Hills....they had some openings. I explained my tennis career so to speak and they placed me in the league that they felt met my skill level. Well I began playing with those ladies. Unfortunately the pro had not placed me in the correct league, as he placed me in a 2.5 level. (2.5 is a little better than a beginner) Therefore, the ladies disliked me because I had bombarded their nice little league and begun to win. They were actually very hateful. It was so bad that after the league was over, the pro told me the ladies did not want me to play with them anymore. Who does that...who kicks you out of a league.

Mad about the mean "old" ladies not letting me play with them I moved on. I was able to join in a Tuesday night league at ATC (Arlington Tennis Center). Thankfully it was a higher level league and the ladies were so sweet. From here is where my tennis team came about. I was playing one night and asked by a lady to come hit on a Saturday with her. I thought nothing of it, but come to find out it was an interview. That's right and interview....it was like they were test driving me for the team. Did I hit well enough? Would I fit in with the other ladies? and so on. This is where I met Claire....She invited me to join their USTA league team. I of course joined with out a doubt in my mind that it would be wonderful.

Luckily I found one of the most amazing teams ever. I love my team so much that some of the teams we play against think Claire is my Mom! (that is for another blog) I am so thankful to have found these wonderful women. These ladies are not just teammates but family. I would have never thought to this day I would still be playing tennis at least 3 or more times a week. Our captain, Claire, is tennis crazed you see....so we practice on Monday and Thursday nights, and then play our matches on Saturdays (sometimes she will even con us into more tennis in a week). Therefore, since our season is beginning again here in a week we have been very busy. Tonight one of my team mates grabbed my camera while we were at practice. Thanks Carrie you got some great shots! (sorry the flash wasn't better) Here are just a few....

Okay I know the hair...so horrible

Alisa and Debra rock'n the court

Our leader......CLAIRE

Well okay here is another detail about Thursday night tennis. After practice we all head over to BJ's for dinner and drinks. The conversations are always interesting and it is just a great way to relax. I think it is a great start to our weekend. I really lucked out 4 years ago when I was searching for a great tennis team. These ladies are amazing, I couldn't imagine playing with anyone else. Hopefully this year we will take 1st in Ladies 4.o!!!

Debra, Judy, and Claire

Carrie, Alisa, and I
Okay the ladies paying attention this time!

Carrie and I with no drinks!

1 comment:

The Ham Family said...

Good for you, Em - keep on having a hobby that works you out. Then you won't have joint and bone problems when you get old. Gay