Saturday, January 10, 2009

It's a Boy

Okay as a few may know Chris has been wanting a dog. He really wanted a puppy and I wanted a dog. Before Christmas he found this really cute one on petfinder, but she was gone in a jiffy. Since then he and I have really talked about it and been checking into more puppies/dogs. We had found a really cute one on line and saw they were going to be at a pet shop in Dallas. Therefore, last Saturday we loaded up and headed over. We really were not sure what to expect, it was a 1 to 1 1/2 year old male Yorkie Pug mix. We arrive at the store to find about 5 other people there too. I was a little worried, because I only thought she had this one Yorkie. Then in walks the rescue lady Dena with this other puppies. Chris and I were a little puzzled and it was mad house in there. These older ladies were fighting over the dogs...and the lady had to stop them and say she had a list. Chris and I just sat back and watched the craziness go down. Then I asked her about the Yorkie, well his foster mom had gotten sick so he didn't come. We were a bit bummed out, I mean we drove all that way. But she assured us that we could see him next Saturday (today). I told her I would email her to remind (it was crazy in there) her and we left.

When we got home I emailed away and Chris looked for more Yorkies. The Yorkies are hard to come by...that is ones that like cats and kids. Then Dana emailed back with great news that the dog would be there. We were happy and thought well we will check it out again. On Thursday I just happened to notice she now had puppies. There were 4, 2 male and 2 female. Oh gosh so I recontact her telling her that Chris really wanted a puppy and could we look at them both...With a waiting list started she was kind enough to put our names on it. That is the key we found out from the 1st time going to see the dog. YOU MUST get your name on the list...if you don't your out of luck.

Off we headed today to see what was in store for us. Would we love the 1 year old or a puppy (Yorkie, Papillon mix). As Chris and I drove over we chatted about it and thought we will see who catches our heart. Walking into the store I realize this is much different than last time.....there are over 20 people crammed in the store. I couldn't believe it....I was in shock. The Chris walked in (he was parking the car) and was in shock as well. That's when we were so thankful we had been her the week prior. Dana shows up with the dogs, 2 from last week that were not picked, the 4 Yorkie puppies, and the 1 year old. The craziness begins.....as people start grabbing at the puppies and yanking the out of the little high school girls. I felt so bad for them, so that is when Dana said, "No wait I have a list...." and she began calling off names. The fist name was called, NO ONE stepped up! The second name, a man who wanted a girl puppy. The third name an older lady who too wanted a girl. Then Emily was called.....She said would you like to look at the puppies or Dudley. I claim both and the high school girls hand us the 2 boy puppies. We look them both over one pulled our hearts more than the other. So we hand him back to the girls, where Dana yells the last name.... Now the hard part, the puppy or the 1 year old! We talk and hold the puppy, and well the puppy wins. There was another nice couple that just wanted the 1 year old too, so they went home with him. We got our new baby!!! As all the dogs were then spoken for the people begin to leave. Apparently the list was over 120 people, thank goodness we were there the week prior.


Chris cleaning the area for puppy!


From here Chris and I filled out his papers. (HE NEEDS A NAME SO BAD) Dana gave him one of his shots (we will have to go back for his last two and microchip) and some dewormer. Apparently their mothers milk may have worms in it, so they have to have som dewormer once they have been taken off the milk. Then we were off. Did I mention he peed on me when we were doing all this mess. Well I guess that's love. Chris and I still in puppy shock head home....okay well to Petsmart. In the car "puppy" (that is what we call him now) sat so nicely in my lap. Then we got stuck in traffic, there was a wreck in the HOV lane on 635....no more than had we passed the wreck did puppy puke. Wormer all over me.....my lap, my coat, my jeans, and a little on the car seat. Well that didn't stop us, Petsmart here we come. We picked up our items and headed home.


Since we have been home puppy has been doing great. Chris' house is pretty good for a puppy, no carpet in the main areas. We did roll up his big rug in the living room to keep it safe from puppy. However, I take him out about every 30 to 45 minutes to potty. He has gone potty outside every time, thus far. He is great...plays so much, eats his food, and then sleeps like an angel. We will see how tonight goes, I hope he loves his new crate!! Since his is only 6 weeks old they said it is a little early to have him potty trained but I want any help possible with this. To me the sooner were are potty trained the BETTER


6 comments:

Abby said...

He is so cute!! I just love him!! Brian and Emery think he is just the most precious thing ever!! Love him!

I will gather the crew and we will each vote independently on the name as we all have different favorites!!

Abby said...

Ok the poll will only allow us to log one vote. So here are our other votes.
Brian---Grissom
Emery--Winston
Brooks--votes Bah Bah Bah...so Grissom it is.

The Ham Family said...

Oh, he is so cute! There is a great book you need to get asap - How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With by Clarice Rutherford. Her daughter-in-law is a friend of mine and recommended the book when Alyssa got Daisy. Alyssa may still have it. Also I strongly encourage you to start him sleeping in his crate from the beginning. I hate it that our dog sleeps with us! I know this puppy will whine lots tonight but be tough!!! Mama Ham

Aggie98 said...

He is adorable!!! You are going to have soooo much fun. Can't wait to see all the posts about puppy antics!

Kara said...

Oh, he is so cute!!! I have a puppies for dummies book that Abby loaned me almost 4 years ago. I can mail it to you if you want, just let me know.

Names can be hard and I find boy dog names even harder than girls. Before I got a dog, I thought about naming him "George Clooney". I thought it would be funny to yell out after him at parks, etc. :) I'll vote for one of your suggestions though.

Alyssa said...

I'm staying out of the name game since we are having such troubles with names as it is.

I do love the "How to train a puppy you can live with book." It was awesome.