Thursday, May 14, 2009

THE BITE!!!

As I was loading up all my goodies to head back from EC when I noticed something bit my foot. I did not see what it was. Honestly I was in the nice part of the yard, so just thought is was an ant that had lived through all the ant killer! (Abby's yard is so large that they really only treat the fenced in part. For obvious reasons....that the kids play there daily) I kept on with what I was doing and loaded up my sleepy puppy. We said our good byes and took off.


I can then say I really never thought about the bite again till oh mid day Friday (May 8th). I was on planning period and noticed my foot was killing me. I mean I had this horrible pain with every step I took. I headed into my friends office were I took my shoe and sock off.....to find a HUGE GIGANTIC SWOLLEN ANKLE (really it was a kankle at this point)!!! They question me on what could have happened, when I remember the bite! I touch it and realize not only is it huge and ugly, but also burning hot. Of course on all days that our nurse is out I need her! I love our school nurse she will look you over and give you her unofficial advice. YES this is one time I could have used it.

I put some ice on it thinking that may help. Problem is that my foot is so hot the ice wont last! I then place a call to my FP doctor. 2nd problem: HE IS OUT OF TOWN!!! Well I hobble through the rest of the day; and of course make it to happy hour! (I wont let this bite get me down, yet!!!) After a margarita I am still in pain ; and then declare I need help. I call Brian of course and tell him all about it....he then proceeds to declare I need to get it checked out. BLAH to that. Luckily as I hang up with him my FP doctor calls me back (we are pretty good friends....I worked with him at JPS). I explain the issue and send off a picture! (picture phones....can be life savers at times like this) Life is looking a bit better.

Friday's view....



He then calls back and tells me it looks pretty bad so he wants to start me on some meds. I was in such pain that I LEFT HAPPY HOUR to go get them. I love happy hour it is a time we all just chill and blab about our week, so to leave is a huge thing. I grab my drugs and head home for some R and R!


Saturday morning I wake up and still have a kankle! However, I have a tennis commitment and do my best to head out. I do tennis from oh 9 til 11...then have puppy school from 11 to 12. Come 12 pm and my foot is killing me, so I head home and sleep. Nothing is changing, still an ugly painful fat foot. The rest of my day is spent with my foot propped up and sleeping!


Saturdays view: please note the right foot....kankle!


Sunday morning......NO CHANGE, for the good that is (problem 3)! Yep the kankle is still there, but now it is an even brighter red....still a bit warm and it looks to be growing in size. My sweet friend Polly intervenes here!!! She forces her husband (who is a firefighter/EMT) and daughter to bring me a Sonic Dr. Pepper. She knew I couldn't pass up a DP! When they arrive they look it over and decide that maybe I should go to the mini med clinic just because it is not getting better (Abby and Brian were pushing this too)! Off we go!


you can kind of see the redness here...

Well the doctor there does declare that it must have been some type of spider who got a hold of my poor foot! Nothing too much to report, other than were comfy shoes and prop it up as much as possible! Then a small switch in my antibiotic!

NOW, what it is Wednesday, May 13 and my foot is back to a normal color! I have made one step in the right direction anyhow! I am hoping that soon I will have an ANKLE back. However, since I stand about 98% of the day it will take some time! Only thing to do at this point is keep taking my wonderful drugs and prop it up as much as possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...a small switch in my antibiotic". Really.

Brian