Monday, May 25, 2009

What will happen next?

Currently I am on my 4th year in FWISD, as well as at Contreras Elm! I love my school....for many reasons. I love the faculty, the kids, the distance from home, and the environment. I work with so many amazing teachers and mentors. I can remember back to the day I got hired.

I was hired 2 days before school started, it was major stress. Thanks to a great family and good friends we pulled off what should look like a classroom! From that day on I have had the opportunity to grow so much. My school has wonderful resources and allows each teacher the opportunity to use these. Why am I looking back??

Sadly my time at Contreras may be over....or may not! Right now my life should be joyful; ready to plan the summer! However, that is not the case this year. Due to the fact that FWIS has gone to Dual Language in schools that are majority Hispanic....I could be surplussd! (Surplused means move from my school to one that I am needed at. You get no say in what or where, you just go) How is this possible? How can a teacher with 4 years at a school be surplus? Well the problem is, I am being replaced by Spanish speaking teachers. Currently the Dual Language is through 1st grade, and will move to 2nd grade next year.

What this means is:

Any child who speaks Spanish at home (or meets the standards made by FWISD) will be taught in Spanish. They receive all lessons in Spanish EXCEPT math. Math is the only thing from Pre-k to 1st that is taught in ENGLISH to the Spanish speaking kids. (yes you can re-read that!)


Therefore, since I am 1 of 3 (English) First grade teachers I am at risk. The reason I am at risk is that at our school we currently only have 2 ENGLISH Kindergarten classes....so that means when they push up to next year we only need 2 ENGLISH 1st grade teachers. Why can't I move up a grade?

First off I can only teach Pre K thru 4th grade! (thank heavens) My school is a wonderful school remember as I stated earlier. That means: NO ONE LEAVES!!! When people love their school, environment, and kiddos they don't leave. The only way really I will get an upper grade position is if an ENGLISH teacher leaves or retires. (more than likely not happening her) I mean we do have a few teachers that are leaving, but they are all SPANISH teachers! SEE THE PROBLEM!

This leaves me here...waiting, waiting, waiting! I am normally a very patience person, but it is growing thin. We currently only have 9 days...9 days of school left and still I know nothing! I hope that some how, some way my wonderful principal can find a place for me at Contreras. If not I am left up to FWISD's placement.

Don't get me wrong....I have, since oh, January been looking for a new position. The problem is most districts are not hiring, or have froze their hiring! Also if you do sign on to a new district. That district then faces budget issues....the new hires are the first to go! At this point in my life I think it is best to wait it out with FWISD...at least there I know I have a job! Let's hope some wonderful miracle allows me to stay at my "home," Contreras!

No comments: