Thursday, April 09, 2009

Pee pants, specimen cups, and more....

I love my job, okay most days any ways. I do have an amazing class that makes me laugh every day. These kids are great....and say the darnedest things. However, today was one of my most unusual days EVER!!!!

Okay let me give you a few ground rules for the way our room works. Due to the fact that we are a LARGE elementary school (over 800 students), and have only 2 boys and 2 girls bathrooms it makes breaks a task. Therefore, as a class we take 3 WHOLE CLASS breaks. At this time my kids MUST go to the bathroom. In class we have a rule....if or when we return from bathroom break, and you choose to ASK to go to the bathroom within 20 minutes of return for our group break; you will have to change your color. The reason for this rule is that a few of my sweet angels choose not to use their bathroom break time wisely, instead playing. Then when we return for instructional time they now NEED to go to the bathroom. Hence the need for our 20 minute rule. Let me tell you about TODAY'S EVENTS!!!!

Please take a seat for this....


Today I have a child (whom I will call Bobby) who chose not to use the group bathroom break time wisely. After specials we take a group break, he goes into the bathroom and PLAYS!!!! He returns to line, we head to our room. The students then tear out their math TEST and we all prepare to take it. In the middle of the test (about 5 minutes after our bathroom break), Bobby comes running up to me...............he is frantic! I look at him and ask what the problem is that he is disrupting our test. He claims that he could not "hold it" and well he pottyed on himself. Sure enough I look down to see a completely wet right leg but notice a large bulge in his pocket. This child tends to be one who does not follow the bathroom break rule, so his mother send "back up" clothes. When he returns from changing we continue our test. Then thinking to my self what the heck is that bulge in his pocket...and I hope it is not anything that will be turned into me to grade or touch, now that it is covered in pee!!!!

I move along to our next lesson. We continue our day as if nothing has happened, then it comes time to head home. I send my bus and after school kids on their way. I am now down to my 6 parent pick up kiddos, including Bobby. On Thursdays I do locker checks to make sure we have clean lockers...well Bobby's locker is out of control. I then explain to him that he needs to clean EVERYTHING. This is when I notice something unusual....I see that he has a specimen cup. You know a cup that most of us would pee in at the doctors office.

LIGHT BULB goes on in my head. I think back to the fact that during our pee pants problem he had a BULGE in his pants. I then realize that either A: he did actually pee in his pants or B: he had peed in this cup then placed it in his pants pocket. Then when he sat down in class to take his math test it spilled all over his pants.....

This is the dilemma I am left with at the end of the day: did he pee? or was it the pee in the cup that leaked out? What I do know is....he had not had the cup in his pants all day, and must have just grabbed it out of his locker prior to specials. Now why would this child do this. I have no clue. One can imagine how I approached the parent on this situation. The good thing is she actually is a teacher at my school.

That is when I got more crazy information.....yes it can get even more messed up! She informed me that yesterday when he went to the doctor he was to use this cup, but would not. Therefore the nurse sent it home with hopes that later in the day she could get a sample brought back in. Instead Bobby chose to use this cup this morning before they headed to school. The mom told him to throw it away and how gross it was. Now we come to another question....was it pee from this morning or from the bathroom break???

Honestly I don't know that I really want to know the real truth to this whole messed up situation. However, I did ask the mom to see what she could get out of Bobby. Maybe tomorrow I will have some answers...........I think I can say I am the only person that this crazy stuff would happen too! Just your average day in FIRST GRADE!!!

No comments: